Women peacemakers born today
- 1869 Alice Hamilton born New York, NY (d. 1970). Physician; pioneer in industrial toxicology. Co-founded WILPF, 1915; went on peace mission to capitals of belligerent nations with Jane Addams; US representative to League of Nations Health Committee. Opposed Cold War and Vietnam War.
- 1917 Alona Elizabeth Evans born Providence, RI (d. 1980). International lawyer; expert on terrorism and extradition. Professor at Wellesley College, 1945; first female president of American Society of International Law, 1972.
- 1930 Joanne Woodward born Thomasville, GA. Academy Award-winning actress; peace activist. Co-founded non-profit organization Another Mother for Peace in opposition to the Vietnam War, 1967.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1910 Third celebration of National Womens Day, New York City. Billed as, "an anticipation day," women gathered outside Carnegie Hall to sing "La Marseillaise."
- 1960 Diane Nash arrested at the Nashville Sit-In, marking the beginning of the nonviolent sit-in movement.