Women peacemakers born today
- 1807 Elizabeth Pease Nichol born Darlington, England (d. 1897). Quaker; suffragist; leading British abolitionist; Chartist. Criticized Britain's policy in India.
- 1835 Olympia Brown born Prairie Ronde, MI (d. 1926). Universalist minister; suffragist; member of WILPF.
- 1878 Nelly Roussel born Paris, France (d. 1922). Anarchist; pacifist; free thinker. Spoke on birth control and population growth.
- 1893 Sybil Morrison (d. 1994). Pacifist; feminist; lesbian; chair of British WILPF. Jailed 6 months for opposing war, 1940; released book entitled I Renounce War, 1962.
- 1932 Raisa Gorbachev born Rubtsovsk, Siberia (d. 1999). Russian first lady, 1988-1991; delivered commencement speech at Wellesley College on women's role in society, 1990.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1916 Helen Keller delivered a speech entitled "Strike Against War" at Carnegie Hall for the Women's Peace Party.
1919 Re-arrested and sentenced 10 days for Watchfire protest, four suffragettes began fasting.
- 1992 UNICEF pediatrician Dr. Martinka Pumplova murdered in Bosasa, Somalia.