Women peacemakers born today
- 1903 Vera Micheles Dean born Petrograd, Russia (d. 1972). Russian-American political scientist and policy specialist. Foreign Policy Association research director, 1928-1961; adviser to American delegation to UN and UNRRA. Early advocate of rapprochement with USSR; anti-imperialist.
- 1918 Pearl Mae Bailey born Newport News, VA (d. 1992). African-American singer and actress. Named as America's "Ambassador of Love" by Richard Nixon, 1970; appointed special ambassador to the UN by Gerald Ford, 1975. Promoted campaign against AIDS.
Women's peacemaking on this day
- 1991 Sister Marilyn Pray and Mary Rose Palumbo were arrested for Seneca Depot protest.
- 2011 Bahraini school teacher Jaleela al-Salman was arrested for protesting and organizing teachers' strikes during the Arab Spring uprising.
- 2012 Hana Shalabi ended her 43-day hunger strike in Israeli detention after arrangements were made for a 3-year exile to the Gaza Strip.